Asphalt Drum Mix Plant
The Function of Asphalt Drum Mix Plant
What is Asphalt?
Asphalt is a black, sticky and viscous form of petroleum. It is also known as bitumen. Before 20th century the term asphaltum was also used. Naturally occurring asphalt is sometimes specified by term “crude bitumen.”
Asphalt is mainly used in road construction as the binder mixed with aggregate particles to create asphalt concrete. It is also used for bituminous waterproofing products, including production of roofing felt and for sealing flat roofs.
Operation of Asphalt Mixing Plants / Hot Mix Plant
The asphalt ingredients are fed continually to the pivoting drum that conveys an regular production of the hot mix. The major hot mix components are the aggregates, asphalt, and the mineral fillers. The aggregates are transferred by the conveyor from the feeder bins to the revolving drum. The burner expels the dampness content from the aggregate, and after that the aggregate is heated to attain the ideal temperatures. The hot aggregate is blended and covered with asphalt and the filler materials. The hot blend is exchanged from the drum to vehicles by the load conveyor. The feeder bins, pumping unit with asphalt tank, and the mineral filler unit are facilitated to keep up appropriate extent of the hot mix ingredients. The dust is accumulated by the dust collector and moved through the pollution control unit, before it escapes to the environment.
Parts of Asphalt Plant:
MULTI BIN COLD FEED SYSTEM:
- Stores, meters and supply in required proportion different size of cold virgin aggregates for the production process. Cold feed bins are engineered and constructed for maximum durability. They are supported by a heavy duty steel foundation with support gussets, tie ins and stiffeners that lengthens the overall life of the bins. Tapered side walls of bins ensure even flow of aggregates eliminating plugging & bridging problem. Each bin fully adjustable radial gate system in conjunction with variable speed endless multiply feeder belt controls aggregate flow rate and transfers them to the gathering conveyor as per set percentage. Rubber sidings are provided to prevent leakage between bin bottom and belt surface. Bin vibrator is fitted on one bin for free flow of fines.
- Cold aggregates fed by slinger conveyor are dried & heated in the primary section and are mixed with asphalt & filler material in the secondary section to produce the quality hotmix which is delivered to load out conveyor.
- Rotary drum is parallel flow type wherein burner is fitted on the cold aggregate input side and discharge chamber, dust collector & exhaust system is fitted on the hotmix output side.
- Discharge chute is having replaceable liner plates to take care of wear & tear in longer runs. Primary multi cone type dust collector fitted on the same frame in line with the rotary drum traps the heavy dust particles escaping with the exhaust.
- Exhaust system consisting of blower & stacks are either installed on the same frame adjacent to dust collector or installed on the bedframe of Wet Scrubber.
- Produces the required flame through proper air fuel ratio and builds the necessary temperature inside the drum for drying and heating of the aggregates.
- It is of two stage type, high and low pressure jet type automatic burner fitted on the aggregate in feed side.
- Suitable for LDO / Diesel as fuel.
- The air fuel ratio is adjusted electronically. The burner is supplied with remote igniter and is controlled either manually or automatically. LOAD OUT CONVEYOR:
- Transfers the hotmix output received for the drum directly to the truck or storage silo.
- Stores, meters and delivers the asphalt in required proportion to the mixing section of the drum. Asphalt is sprayed uniformly in the mixing zone for accurate coating on aggregates.
- Asphalt pumping station consisting of positive displacement type jacketed asphalt pump coupled with variable speed drive unit.
- Variable speed drive is synchronized with the variable speed drives of each feeder bin, mineral filler unit and weighbridge load cell to deliver exact percentage of asphalt in the mix material and to meet the job mix formula.
MINERAL FILLER UNIT:
- Stores, meters & delivers the mineral filler material in required proportion to the mixing section of the drum.
- Filler material is conveyed pneumatically by compressor / blower into the mixing section of the drum.
- Variable speed drive is synchronized with the variable speed drives of each feeder bin, asphalt pump and weighbridge load cell to deliver exact percentage of filler material in the mix and to meet the job mix formula.
- Filler unit can also be used to recycle the dust, gathered from primary dust collector, into the mixing zone.
FUEL SERVICE TANK:
- Stores the fuel (LDO/ Diesel) and supplies the dryer and asphalt tank burners at required pressure by fuel pumping station.
- WET SCRUBBER UNIT:
- Pollution control unit that absorbs & traps the hazardous gases and dust particles escaping along with the exhaust gases.
- Venturi and nozzles designed to create the necessary fog of water for absorbing the gases and dust.
- It is centralized control panel from where all the operations of the asphalt drum mix plant components are controlled.
- It is equipped with the emergency stops, on / off buttons, selector switches, riders, volt meters, current meters, totalizer on the front desk with ease access to operator in logical manner.
- Totalizer displays all the set parameters like aggregate percentage, asphalt percentage, filler percentage, asphalt & filler flow in kg/min., asphalt temperature, hotmix output, hotmix output temperature etc.
For Technical Details of Asphalt Plant click HERE
We, UNIVERSAL ENGINEERS, are one of the leading manufacturer of Road Construction Machineries like, asphalt plants, hot mix plant, wet mix plant, kerb laying machine, bitumen tanks, bitumen pressure distributor and many more. Contact Us today!